When it comes to coffee makers, Keurig is definitely one brand that is hard to rival. It makes it easy to start your day the right way – with a delicious caffeine fix. That being said, you need to know how to use a Keurig coffee maker, which will be the subject of the rest of this post.
Regardless of the model of the Keurig coffee maker that you have, you have to follow the right steps of its use to make sure of the best outcomes. The best thing to do is to consult with the manual from the manufacturer and religiously follow the instructions.
How to Use a Keurig Coffee Maker
It’s easy – this is one thing that you have to know. There is no need to be a trained barista to make the perfect cup of coffee. The great thing about Keurig is that everyone will have the opportunity to prepare delicious coffee without being an expert. A little patience is all that you need. You don’t need to have the luxury of time as all it takes would be a few minutes before you can savor your beverage!
Initial Set-Up of the Machine
If in case the machine is new, the initial setup is an important step to make sure that it will deliver optimal functionality.
- Remove the brewer from the box. Take out any tape or seal that is still present. Put together the components that are included in the box.
- If there is a shipping disc included, take it off. You will have to lift the handle first to remove the disc.
- Take off the water reservoir and clean it with warm water. Do not use it right away without washing. This can lead to a plastic-like smell. There are some models with a reservoir that cannot be removed, so this step does not apply.
- If the model comes with a charcoal filter, it requires priming. Rinse, soak, and massage the filter to get it ready to work. Put the filter back in its original position.
- Fill the reservoir with water up to the maximum fill line. Turn the machine on and wait until it finishes one brewing cycle. Lift the cover of the pod as you will brew without a K-cup. Dispense the water. Your coffee maker is now ready for brewing.
Now that you are done the cleaning, you are ready for the first actual brew. Follow the easy steps that are mentioned below.
- Pick a pod. You will have endless choices. Choose a flavor that you love. Make sure to pick one that is compatible for the model of the Keurig coffeemaker that you have.
- Fill the reservoir with water. There is a maximum fill line, so be sure to not put water behind such line.
- Lift the handle and place the pod. Secure it in its position and cover the handle once again.
- Choose the desired brew settings. Most models will provide you with the option to customize the brew depending on the strength that you personally prefer. You can choose the size and temperature as you wish.
- Press the brew button and wait until it is finished. The model that you have will dictate how long you will have to wait before your coffee is finished. In most cases, it will take only 30 to 90 seconds.
- Dispense the coffee and enjoy your drink while it is still hot!
Cleaning and Maintenance of Keurig Coffee Maker
Regardless if you have the most expensive top-notch model of Keurig coffee maker, do not expect that it will deliver optimal functionality through the years without care and maintenance. That being said, here are some of the things that you should do to have an assurance that the machine will remain in its tip-top shape:
- Start by cleaning the exterior of the coffee maker. Do not soak it in water. The electrical components should not get wet as it can cause significant damages. Instead, wipe the exterior with a clean towel. Focus on the areas that are hard to reach. A brush with soft bristle will also work.
- If the coffee maker comes with a charcoal filter, make sure to have it changed at least once every two months. This will make sure that your coffee will taste great all the time.
- Descaling the machine is another important part of regular care and maintenance. This will solve the issue with mineral buildup, which is a problem if you use tap water. If you do not descale, your coffee may have a foul taste and odor.
- Fill the reservoir with equal parts of white vinegar and water until the MAX line.
- Start a normal brew cycle.
- Leave the brewer for about half an hour. This will allow the internal components to be deep cleaned. The mixture will penetrate for the buildup to soften.
- Brew multiple times until the water in the reservoir is emptied.
- Fill the reservoir with water. This time, there should be no vinegar as you are already going for a rinse.
- Run a regular brew cycle and dispense the water until the reservoir is empty. This is an important step to make sure that the strong odor and taste of vinegar won’t linger on the reservoir.
At this point, I hope that you already know how to use a Keurig. As you can see, it is pretty much straightforward. It is user-friendly, which is exactly the reason why it is popular amongst people who would love to enjoy their coffee in the most hassle-free way that is possible. Even if you are in a hurry, you can prepare your drink in a snap!