Hackers are often characterized as being highly devious and excruciatingly bold. They may often be thought of as intelligent individuals, but their antics can be quickly dismantled with the proper measures in place.
Still, many cyberattacks are launched every year, and it is suspected that only some of those are public knowledge. If you have any information stored anywhere, there is likely somebody somewhere who wants access to it. Some people hack others for fun, others do it for profit, so there is little room to negotiate things in your favor with these people.
Outsmarting hackers and safeguarding your interests is the only thing you can do here. Of course, this can be easier said than done. If you need some ideas to put a plan of action in place, read on.
Do Not Forget the Basics
These days, there are many ways to counter hackers’ efforts at infiltrating your firm. However, despite all the progress, one should never lose sight of the basics here.
There are many measures you can take that can hopefully make things simpler. These include:
- Better password behaviors – Set stronger passwords comprised of letters, numbers, and unique characters. It is also a good idea to change the password regularly. Add multi-factor authentication too.
- Being cautious with emails – Refrain from clicking any suspicious links that are sent to you.
- Update your software – You may feel tempted to keep delaying each suggested update on a computer, but you should run each of them at the earliest opportunity.
- Choose with a better internet provider – Some providers will have more robust built-in security features. Do some research to see which are the most reputable, and avoid those with a checkered past.
- Compartmentalize information – If you distribute data around a business, ensure it only goes to the intended recipients. Do not give every employee access to all things and lock sensitive data behind password encryptions and secure cloud servers.
- Improve building security – Those who oversee a workplace should keep their business premises secure. Hacks can come from anywhere, even inside your firm’s premises, so implement things like keycard access and regularly review CCTV footage.
Communicate these measures to your colleagues regularly if you are implementing them in a professional environment. Routine is an essential element of these checks, so stay on top of everything and let it become part of your daily life.
Look into Testing Procedures
Hackers don’t always tear a brand-new hole into a person’s software security. Instead, they may exploit one that is already there.
Read around application security testing to better understand what is at stake here and get some pointers on preventing these issues from occurring. Learn about fuzz testing, which will help you to detect unknown and zero-day vulnerabilities. Thanks to ForAllSecure’s resources, you can learn about additional testing procedures as well. Automation can also help here, and they detail all the ways it can bolster your security.