Acne itself can leave a toll on you but the scars that result from it are downright frustrating. Acne scars can be red or depressed, rolling, keloid, boxcar or ice pick. But whatever kind of scars they are, we all just feel the need to get rid of them. Essential oils, with their reputation as skin food, are perfect for fading acne scars.
What are Acne Scars?
Acne scars are textural changes and indentations that occur on the skin after an acne breakout.
Acne scars result from the skin’s attempt to repair lesions by forming new collagen fiber after a severe acne breakout. Acne itself is caused by increased production of sebum (natural skin oil) by the body which eventually leads to clogged follicle pore.
The pore swells and leads to a break in the follicle wall. Once the wall is broken, lesions appear. For shallow lesions, the healing is immediate. But for the deep lesions, the skin sets out to build new collagen fiber for healing. The repaired skin doesn’t match with the original skin and is called acne scars.
Does Essential Oil Help to Fade Acne Scars?
The answer is a resounding yes. There is a historical romance between essential oils and the skin. The cell/tissue regenerative property of essential oils makes them priceless for combating acne scars. Also, essential oils are loved by a lot of people for their organic, undiluted quality.
They have not been contaminated by chemicals and leave little to zero side effects when applied on the skin. Also, not everyone can afford skin grafting and laser treatments. Essential oils are the best options for steady treatment of acne scars.
Top 7 Essential Oils for Acne Scars
Here are a few essential oils that have proven effective for acne scars and if you’re looking for essential oils for scars, check below-
1. Tea Tree Oil
This oil is a native of Australia.
- Tea tree oil is a human treasure that has been proven over time to cure various skin and hair conditions, the case is no different for acne scars.
- Tea tree oil removes and cleanses all the dirt and dead skin pores that hinder rejuvenation of skin tissues.
- Studies show that the oil soothes the skin and kills Propionibacterium acne that causes acne inflammation.
Tea tree oil is very potent, so it needs to be diluted before use.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Acne Scars
- Mix 1/2 cup distilled water with 5-6 drops of tea tree oil.
- Add in 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar.
- Put in a spray bottle and mix thoroughly.
- Spray over the affected area.
- Repeat 1-2 times every day.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Because of the flowery scent of this oil, it is the most used of all essential oils. It has proven powerful in combating acne scars.
- It possesses great antimicrobial and antioxidant characteristics and can help scars from forming.
- It has anti-spasmodic and detoxifying effects that clear up harmful toxins on the skin.
Because of the gentle nature of the oil, it can be applied directly without diluting.
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil For Acne Scars
- You may directly apply the oil to the face and rub gently over the affected area.
- Dip a cotton swab into the oil.
- Apply gently (to avoid irritating the skin) over the affected areas.
- Repeat process 1-2 times a day.
It especially heals popped pimple scars and takes about one week to show results.
3. Clary Sage Essential Oil
This essential oil is from Southern Europe and has an earthy and vivid scent.
- Its antiseptic and bactericidal properties make is very useful for fighting acne and clearing scars.
- The lianyl acetate in clary sage is great for reducing skin swelling or skin inflammation.
The oil is very potent and should be diluted for all skin types. Only 2-3% of clary sage is required for combating acne scars.
How to Use Clary Sage Essential Best Oil For Acne Scars
- Mix 3 drops of clary sage with about 9-10ml any other essential oil (jojoba, coconut oil).
- You can choose to mix with your body lotion or face cream.
- Massage gently into the affected area.
- Repeat twice or thrice a day (depending on the severity)
It especially prevents inflammation and the result is seen about 4 weeks.
4. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary is a very popular ingredient in the kitchen. Known for its unique spicy flavor, it is not scarce in American homes. If you crave a clear skin, you may want to move the rosemary oil to the top of your vanity.
- Rosemary has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities that reduce skin inflammation.
- Rosemary tones and tightens the skin and reduces the appearance of scar tissues, thereby reducing acne scars.
How to Use Rosemary Oil for Acne Scars
- Mix equal parts rosemary oil and any carrier oil (olive, coconut or jojoba oil). About 5-5 drops.
- You may also add a drop or two to your daily moisturizer.
- Use a cotton swab to dab on the affected area.
- Repeat this once or twice a day until the skin clears up.
The effect is seen in 3-5 weeks.
5. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense is a warm and balsamic oil from the Middle East; an area known for rich and exotic skin.
- It’s healing and invigorating properties is nothing short of a wonder.
- It possesses antibacterial antioxidant and antifungal qualities that rejuvenates the skin.
- It works against acne and eliminates scars and pimple marks leaving behind a trauma-free
- The scent makes it a great option for people who get easily nauseous.
- Because of its gentle nature, it can also be used without mixing.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil for Acne Scars
- Mix ¼ cup of jojoba oil, 2 drops of frankincense oil, one drop each of lavender and tea tree oil.
- Pour into a dropper bottle and shake it vigorously to mix the oils.
- As a face elixir, apply every night before going to sleep.
The effect is seen in 4-6 weeks.
6. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum oil is gotten from steaming Helichrysum flower.
- It has amazing anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial qualities.
- The oil is especially great for eliminating old acne scars.
- Its antioxidant qualities help regenerate old skin and prevent scarring.
- It also helps the circulation of blood in the body
Helichrysum oil should not be used after a recent surgery as it may induce internal hemorrhage.
How To Use Helichrysum Essential Oil For Acne Scars
- Mix 9-10 drops of juniper oil with 2-3 drops of hemp.
- Apply on the affected area and leave overnight.
- Repeat once every day.
The effect is seen in 4 months or longer.
7. Carrot Seed Oil
Carrot is common everywhere. The vegetable is treasured for its vitamin C; skin rejuvenating properties.
- Carrot essential oil has a sweet herb-like scent and is used in curing lots of bacterial caused infections.
- Its antioxidant qualities combat oxygen stealing micro-organisms and bacteria that prevent skin rejuvenation.
Carrot essential oil should not be confused with the carrot carrier oil. Carrot juice is also great for treating acne scars!
How To Use Carrot Seed Oil For Acne Scars
- Mix 5-6 drops of carrot oil with 10ml of any carrier oil of your choice.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mix.
- Apply gently on the affected area.
- Repeat 1-2 times every day.
The effect is seen in 4-6 weeks.
Precautions On Using Essential Oil For Acne Scars
- Depending on your skin type, you may be sensitive to one or two of the essential oils. To test for skin compatibility, apply a small undiluted quantity of the oil to a small area of your skin and wait for a reaction. This is called the patch test. If there’s no reaction, you are good to go. If there is, you may try diluting the oil or pick up another oil from the store.
- It is safer to mix essential oils with any carrier oil of your choice because of their potent quality.
- After applying essential oil, avoid going out in the sun.
- If you are pregnant or epileptic, consult your doctor before using the oils as their scent may make you nauseous.
Tips On Buying Essential Oils For Acne Scars
- Essential oils are not so scarce, one or two should be easily accessible to you.
- To get essential oils, visit your nearest drug stores, pharmacies and cosmetic shops.
- You may find scarce ones in vegetarian shops.
- Buy a small size bottle first to see if the oil works for you.
- It is better to choose pure organic ones.
- For measuring comfort, choose the ones that come in dropper bottles.
So, Which Essential Oil is the Best for Your Acne Scars?
Through studies, Helichrysum essential oil has proven to be the best of the essential oils. It not only treats acne scars but is unrivaled in treating the oldest scars as well. Not only that, but it also has anti-cancer properties that help to protect the skin against skin cancer.
Helichrysum oil helps to smoothen both skin tone and texture and its moisturizing properties helps keep the skin hydrated. It, however, does not come cheap.
Essential oils are great indeed but are not miracles. Your skin type determines how fast the essential oil you choose will work. Be patient; good things take time.